Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The hip "stay-at-home" dad.

Remember those trustafarians you went to college with? The ones you flocked to because they bought a keg every night. The ones that got mediocre grades, but somehow became our politicians, CEO's, lawyers, and judges. Do you ever wonder about the ones that couldn't leave the slacker lifestyle behind?

When we arrived in Providence, I was stoked to hear that there were plenty of stay-at-home dads in our new 'hood. Nice! Visions of taking our lil' men to hockey games, playing catch in our backyards, and building cool stuff—filled my head. But weeks went by ... I haven't seen any of them. I haven't met any of them. Where are these other stay-at-home dads that people keep talking about?

Well, last week I finally met one of them. He had some tattoos, wore a straw fedora, and was dressed as if he belonged in the latest Urban Outfitters catalog. I certainly don't have anything against tattoos or fedoras, I'm just not hip enough to pull 'em off. But, the thing that really struck me about this dude, was the fact that I already new his child. Ahem! AND the nanny of his kid! Posing motherfucker! He probably doesn't even know his child's middle name.

I was filled with unpleasant thoughts. How dare this guy deem himself a "stay-at-home" dad! This undeserving prick! Other stay-at-home dads like me, either out of necessity or preference, work our asses off every minute of every day. While this GUY. This slacker.  This trustafarian. This "stay-at-home dad" just hands his kid off to the nanny and claims the title. BULLSHIT! All though ... having a nanny would be pretty awesome.

Oh well, I certainly don't mind hanging with the ladies. Picking blueberries and feeding the ducks ain't half bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment