Thursday, August 16, 2012

Circumcision. What's all the fuss about?

All I know is that when our midwife asked, "Will you be having your son circumcised?" The wifey and I just gave each other a look that suggested, "I haven't thought about that. Have you?" Well, she explained that circumcision is a social and medical flip flop of a topic. "Right now, socially speaking, circumcision is the hip and natural thing to do. But medically speaking, there's a risk that your son will have problems down the road with an uncircumcised penis. AND the risk of a botched circumcision is minimal." We absorbed the information, but never really discussed the topic again.

Well that is, until we attended the wedding of a friend. We were sitting at a table, that was coupled up. Except for one gal that was alone. Someone asked, "Where's your date?" Well, this forty something answered,  "My date just had emergency surgery." Someone else inquired, "What sort of surgey?" To which she replied, "He had to be circumcised because his penis was infected. I guess it's a pretty traumatic procedure for someone of his age. He'll be laid up for a month." The wifey and I looked at each other and without exchanging words, we both knew.

We had our lil' man circumcised. And I will say, and not just because the person that performed the circumcision sometimes reads this blog, that it was done to perfection. But the point is that ... for some reason, most parents of boys that have not been circumcised want to talk about their son's uncircumcised penis. Why? So they seem hip? Au naturale? I don't get it. I certainly don't ever bring up my boy's circumcised penis in conversation.

The exchange always randomly starts with a, "WELL, my son IS NOT circumcised." I just want to respond, "WELL, my two year son thinks your boy has a small penis." OR ... say something like, "I really don't give a shit if your son hasn't been circumcised. Just tell the little asshole to stop throwing sand in my boy's face." Then, I just want to pants my lil' man in the middle of the playground, so everyone can see his glorious, circumcised penis.

But really, who cares!

No comments:

Post a Comment