Thursday, June 28, 2012

The stink and the wall.

The Stink.
I just need ten minutes to shave, shower, and trim these God damn eyebrows that are poking me in the eyeballs. Is that too much to ask for? Ummm. Yes. I know. I know. Why don't I shower at night once the wifey is home from work? Well ... After I've made supper, cleaned the kitchen, picked up the toys, and walked the dog—I slump down into a chair, and quite frankly, I forget that this moment is my only opportunity to rid myself of this horrible stench.

I'm not sure, but I think today is Thursday. And I'm pretty sure that I haven't bathed since Sunday. In fact, I'm pretty sure that today I changed my clothes for the first time since Sunday. Yuck.

While the lil' man and I were at the park this morning, I really thought that someone was going to offer me spare change. Hmmmm. Maybe I'm on to something. Maybe this is how the lil' man and I grow "his" matchbox collection.

The wall.
It's official. At 2pm every Thursday I hit a wall of exhaustion unlike anything I've ever experienced. I drink coffee. I drink Diet Coke. I splash cold water on my face. But I still feel empty nothingness. Do other stay-at-home parents hit a wall like this? And by stay-at-home parents, I mean full time stay-at-home parents. No nanny. No part time daycare. No baby sitter. No family assistance. Yes, I know Rathbun, I chose/choose this path, you don't have to point it out. I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to figure it out.

I wonder if I'm just too old? Not cut out for this? Maybe there is something to the ol' saying "It takes a village to raise a child" and I'm just crazy for thinking I can do this. Might it be that I'm just a sissy?

I'd like to think that I've tested my capacity for exhaustion. I've hiked glaciers. I've sat through boring lecture after boring lecture. I've picked rocks. I've built stone walls. I've watched all of Peter Greenaway's films.  I've spent endless hours grinding paint off a house. I drove for 42 straight hours from San Fransisco to Portland. None of which exhausted me as much as this 30lb bundle of spunk.

I know that I'll bounce back on Friday morning. But ... What if, in those few exhausted hours, I fall asleep and something tragic happens? What if I have a lapse in judgment while at the park? This lil' man is my world. I don't know if I'd be able to go on if something happened to him, especially on my watch. I dream about this and it scares the shit out of me.

4 comments:

  1. Do you really "grow" a collection? Or do you add to it? Using grow to describe expansion annoys me to no end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason, I am in a similar boat to you. I am the only at home person during the day for at least 4 days every week - and I do this on top of having a job where I work at night. I spend a lot of time trying to "nap when they nap." I get up after about 3 or 4 hours of sleep and I get about 10 minutes to get up to speed. Then we spend the day (from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) playing, eating and - hope, hope, hope - napping. And then I take a shower and head to work - where I also eat (most days). I'm not saying it's worse or that you don't have it so bad, I'm just saying that I feel your pain. We do this so that we can avoid sending those little tykes to daycare (and so we can avoid the cost) and on most days it's worth it - but on some days it's the must frustrating job on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh. In know way am I trying to suggest that I have it easier or harder than anyone else. I'm only trying to tell stories (in my sarcastic way) about what this experiences is like for me. One thing is for certain, I'm feel very fortunate and grateful that I get to have this experience.

    I did the part time stay-at-home/go to work thing and it was exhausting. The full time stay-at-home thing is exhausting. But, in my humble opinion, neither compare to when I was doing the full time stay-at-home/take the kid to work thing. That was insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh :-) I wasn't either.

    I'm happy to get to do it as well. At times it's brutal but it's still happy days. I like reading about someone else doing it too.

    ReplyDelete