Saturday, January 25, 2014

Hey momma! What's your number?

I'm in serious need of stay at home mom advice.

I've always considered myself to be pretty darn good at most things, however something I've always sucked at is asking out the ladies. I'm not really sure why, so I'll do what sons do—blame my mother. Rather than digging deep into my soul, let's just assume that she did too good of a job raising me to be a gentleman. Yeah, that must be it.

One time in 8th grade, my best friend and I were you know, chilling in my bedroom to the Cocktail soundtrack. Man, does that sound gay! No wait... maybe queer is a better word to describe that moment. Actually, it's a fond memory, so maybe gay is the appropriate word to use. But ... looking back it also seems kinda strange that we were listening to the Cocktail soundtrack in my bedroom. So ... My best friend and I were having a gay ol' queer time listening to the Cocktail soundtrack, talking about girls. I new that my best friend had an 8th grade crush on a certain young lady. However, this young lady had a crush on me. He insisted that I ask her out. But I was scared shitless and couldn't do it. So as any best friend would do, he called her up and asked her out for me.

This sort of scenario followed me through my teenage years and into adulthood. Always relying of friends to get me through the awkward asking out hurdle or relying on the ladies to ask me out. Christ! Even my future wifey stalked me for a bit, before I was able to gather the courage to ask her out. Geesh. I'm sure glad I did. And you'd think, now that I'm married this problem of asking ladies for their number would be a non issue. But, fuck me! It's back in my life.

I've been doing the SAHD thing for a little more than 3 1/2 years now. And you know what? I've only met two other SAHD's. One now lives thousands of miles away. The other one, well ... he's kind of a douche. Ah well, this isn't a big deal. I like hanging out with SAHM's just fine. All though. I wish they'd stop with all their "MOM" groups. Why can't they just be "PARENT" groups? After all, it is 2014 and exclusion works both ways. But perhaps, this is for another post.

Since we moved I really haven't found any SAHM companions and I'm feeling isolated. I'm never alone, but I sort of feel all alone.  I'm craving some adult interaction.  Well, recently I bumped into a wicked cool mom, that I hadn't seen in awhile, at the trampoline place (which you can read about here). She is one of three moms that I've met there, that has actually spoken to me. She invited us to join her and the kids for a snack. YES!!!! We hadn't seen each other in awhile so we caught up while the kiddos shared their snacks. It felt great to have someone to talk with, but all I could think about was, if only these weren't such rare chance encounters.  I felt the awkwardness of my adolescence return. But why? I'm happily married. She's married. I just want a friend with kids. This shouldn't be awkward.

Should I ask her for her number? See if she wants to schedule a play date? Get her email address? Wait for her to suggest something? Give her my wifey's number? Give her my number? Jesus, the last thing I need is for a big dude to show up at the trampoline place and punch me in the face. Fuck. I just want some other parents to hang out with. Some kids for my kids to hang out with. Why does this feel awkward? Should it feel awkward? HELP!

No comments:

Post a Comment